Saturday, April 25, 2015

Still landscaping..

Since laying the turf and getting the basic fence structure up, the progress has slowed considerably.

Now that we didn't share a communal backyard with half the street, gone was the urgency that comes from having strangers and their dogs walking through your fence-less backyard at random times of the day. And subsequently also gone was the need to spend every spare moment working away outside.

There were however, still things to be done. So we slowly chipped away at it over the next few weeks.... Cutting down the turrets into a nice angle from the high fence to the low one, leveling the top of the palings, sawing off the excess fence posts etc. etc. And, of course, when I saw "we" chipped away at it... of course that essentially means "Ben" chipped away at it. I helped where I could though, any my part will come soon enough when the garden is ready for planting!



I wasn't sitting by idly though while this went on. I was working away getting inside organised. And so, my first project was the laundry.

Ben had already helped me install two cabinets beside the washing machine, they are just waiting to be completed with kickboards, doors and a bench top when we have some spare cash to allocate to the project.

I used a piece of cheap plyboard to create an interim bench top though and expand the working space.

The next step to maximise the limited space available in our little four metre square laundry was building up to the top of our glorious 2.7m high ceilings. I did this with some new shelving, and a really handy 'Grundtal' extendable drying rack I picked up for $40.00 at IKEA! No more dumping sweaty running clothes in the sink and stinking the place out for days on end, now we can hang them up to air, ready to go in with the next load of laundry!

I'll just need to stock up on some more of the matching IKEA 'variera' storage tubs to satisfy my OCD and it will be complete.


Next project to tackle was the front landscaping. And so, after Ben put the front gates in, we were able to dismantle our temporary puppy fence built out of the leftover sleepers and build the two level layout we'd decided on. A design that will look good but will be low maintenance.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment